Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Fwd: Local Boy gets quoted in Big city Paper

Forwarded Conversation
Subject: Local Boy gets quoted in Big city Paper
------------------------

From: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007 at 9:57 AM

It was windy so dont diss my time!!!!!

--
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

--------
From: drianne.tolliver@gatewaycdi.com <drianne.tolliver@gatewaycdi.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Look my very own celebrity!!!
Drianne Tolliver
Special Order
Customer Service Representative

GatewayCDI
909 North 20th Street
Saint Louis, MO 63106
314-535-1888 ext.323
drianne.tolliver@gatewaycdi.com
http://www.gatewaycdi.com/
BUILD YOUR BRAND
[Quoted text hidden]

--------
From: Kalsa, Craig <craig.kalsa@bankofamerica.com>
To: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007 at 10:23 AM

You mean the wind was at your back? J

Congratulations! A sub-3/hr 40 miles is good without wind! Was it flat? I rode yesterday just over 40 mi (easy hills) in 2:12, in miserable conditions; lots of rain, strong winds and powerful gusts (the side gusts were dangerous). The headwind coming back was so bad I rode the last 20 mi for 15 minutes longer than the first 20. So you see; you're doing great. And a rising journalism star, as well. Riding with a group yet?

My intention for yesterday's ride was easy work, high cadence; an easy tempo ride. I ended with an 86 av. cadence, fast for me. By the way, the reason I chose an easy tempo ride is because I rode 91 mi in 5:01 Saturday, with 3 stops. I was tired; I slept a total of about 12 hrs yesterday.

Love,

Dad


From: Dan Parker [mailto: hungbrain@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 10:58 AM
To: Kalsa, Craig; EILEEN CALLAGHAN; mailto:drianne.tolliver@gatewaycdi.com; dougtihen@gmail.com; jnicole214@aol.com
Subject: Local Boy gets quoted in Big city Paper

It was windy so dont diss my time!!!!!

--
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.


--------
From: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
To: "Kalsa, Craig" <craig.kalsa@bankofamerica.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Dad,
All rides in Central Illinois are flat...I did my first century(Metric) the next day came in just over 4 hours, extremely windy, similar situation the last 20 miles took 90 minutes. I know what you mean about side gusts, I'm glad I had 2 full bottles on the frame as opposed to the old hydro-pack. I am wiped today and oddly my neck is killing me. Not sure if its from keeping my head down for 22 miles or the from the one time I looked up and the wind caught my visor and snapped my head back. I guess there is no tricks for the wind, just get stronger. There were some hills on this ride and I found my self catching up to people on them, carbon rules!!!, but I don't seem to transition well at the summit, any advice there?
I feel comfortable enough with my pace now that I will start riding with the bike shop on Saturdays. I'm curious what your typical breakfast is on the morning of a long ride? I always eat good the night before, but I think I could benefit from a bigger breakfast.
[Quoted text hidden]

--------
From: Kalsa, Craig <craig.kalsa@bankofamerica.com>
To: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Son,

Saving enough for the summit is the basic trick. Stay in the saddle and gear way down for a high cadence. If you're in a hurry and aren't worried about all of the rest of the hills for the day, then for the last minute of the climb, kick the gears up and stand and attack but gear it so your cadence does not drop under 70 or 80 and your heart does not go anaerobic. As your condition improves, try moving the time out to 2 or 3 minutes. Then go for 20. Anyway, that's what I do sometimes, use whatever works.

I have only a banana and a cup of tea with soy milk if I'm riding within an hour of waking, which is usually the case (it's also usually early too, before I normally get an appetite e.g., I left at 06:30 both weekend days). The ride then determines how much and what I put in my pockets and bottles. But I don't necessarily recommend what I do; I recommend eating something easy on the stomach and to prepare, has the right carbs/protein, and is low-residue (doesn't create a lot of shit). Oatmeal with walnuts and whatever else you might like is high pro and complex carb and a hassle to prepare. Highly recommended is a lean med-rare steak; it is quite tasty, a great way to kick off a hard day, with the added benefit of low-residue.

Eat on or off the bike, or both, but eat right for you. (No, I don't have a low-residue list.)


From: Dan Parker [mailto: hungbrain@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 11:50 AM
To: Kalsa, Craig
Subject: Re: Local Boy gets quoted in Big city Paper

[Quoted text hidden]

--------
From: jnicole214@aol.com <jnicole214@aol.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007 at 1:08 PM


Impressive! You made the paper.

When are we all getting lunch again?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Parker <mailto:hungbrain@gmail.com>
To: Kalsa, Craig <craig.kalsa@bankofamerica.com>; EILEEN CALLAGHAN
<mailto:eileencallaghan@sbcglobal.net>; drianne.tolliver@gatewaycdi.com
<mailto:drianne.tolliver@gatewaycdi.com>; dougtihen@gmail.com
<mailto:dougtihen@gmail.com>; jnicole214@aol.com <mailto:jnicole214@aol.com>
Sent: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 9:57 am
Subject: Local Boy gets quoted in Big city Paper






http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/D307AC931A713F78862572EF000F3736?OpenDocument


It was windy so dont diss my time!!!!!

--
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.





________________________________________________________________________
AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free
from AOL at AOL.com.
=0

--------
From: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2007 at 6:54 AM

I think a happy hour is better, I don't see myself getting down that way for lunch soon, even meeting half way is a long drive. But set something up and I will be there. Best to leave the happy hour plans to me seeing as how you can't handle your liqour and all. : - )
-dp
Ps
Would you be interested in doing some training rides in the area? Or riding on our team this year?

[Quoted text hidden]
--
[Quoted text hidden]

--------
From: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2007 at 7:00 AM

HA! hardly, I'm just a humble pedal pumper that likes to raise awareness to alternate forms of transportation.
-dp

[Quoted text hidden]

--------
From: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
To: "Kalsa, Craig" <craig.kalsa@bankofamerica.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2007 at 7:01 AM

mmmm Steak, thats what they have in 'A Sunday in Hell'.
[Quoted text hidden]

--------
From: Kalsa, Craig <craig.kalsa@bankofamerica.com>
To: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2007 at 7:37 AM

That's right! Breakfast of champions…


From: Dan Parker [mailto: hungbrain@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 8:02 AM

[Quoted text hidden]

[Quoted text hidden]

--------
From: Kalsa, Craig <craig.kalsa@bankofamerica.com>
To: Dan Parker <hungbrain@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2007 at 8:34 PM

Hey – maybe we should post these exchanges to your blog?


From: Dan Parker [mailto: hungbrain@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 11:50 AM
To: Kalsa, Craig
Subject: Re: Local Boy gets quoted in Big city Paper

[Quoted text hidden]

--------

No comments: