- Ok I got the bike back from the shop today. They installed a wireless computer and some hand-me-down clipless pedals I also picked up a pair of Nike road shoes. Got to the trail and played around in the parking lot clipping in and out. Thanks to Matt at The Cyclery for the advice. I felt like I got the hang of it so I headed north on the MCT Schoolhouse trail. Its only about 500 feet to the first intersection. The traffic light gods were not with me and I forced to come to a stop, busy time right about 5:30. I of course fell. For some reason I got it in my head I needed to stop and un-clip all in some grand single movement. No big deal, I feel stupid enough in the clothes. After crossing I started messing with the computer. I brought up the cadence first as it's what I'm most interested in...68...I stepped it out...74...80...83....444...2359...holy shit this bikes fast. The cadence then dropped back to normal, but kept jumping to crazy numbers. I scrolled to some of the other features, mph 0, time of ride 0, ride distance 0. Great I was getting no data from the front sensor and there was something wrong with the back one. It was a hot one today so I grabbed a water bottle and took a drink, as I was putting the bottle back I was paying more attention to the computer screen and my pedaling stoke, and drobbed the bottle. So I checked over my shoulder slowed down and did a U turn. Slowing to the spot of error I forgot about being clipped in and fell. These falls aren't bad as you are at the point of stopping and doing 0.001 mph, thats a guess since my new device isn't working. Now after returning to a more vertical riding position I was getting no data from either sensor. Maybe trying to learn how to ride with shoes and play with a new toy was to much. So no ride information this round either. No wait here is the raw data: It was hot, I fell a lot. But I was able to generate tons more power and think I should be able to immediately add 10+ miles to every ride.
Monday, April 30, 2007
pffft! Bike Computers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Learing to unclip early, I see. (Hint: practice uncliping alternate feet, and check the tightness on those cleat screws every quarter). Two falls on your first try is not bad, especially if nobody sees you. It’s been 5 or 6 years since I’ve fallen at a signal, and that was after 8 years of practice. I still see experienced riders doing it – and as far as clipping in goes, you should see the chaos at a mass race start! You can also practice unclipping, then reposioning the cleat to clip back in. For example; you’re slowing for a signal, you unclip and put your foot right back on top of the pedal. Should the signal change, you push down, clip in and go. You can do this anytime there’s a chance you may have to stop. The point of the exercise is to teach you to get that foot out early, not necessarily to be ready to go.
Post a Comment