Monday, May 7, 2007

Weekend Rides

Saturday

I got a late start today because as I was getting my gear ready I was startled by a large crash in my backyard. Upon investigating I found that a very large limb had fallen and landed landed on the neighbors fence, knocking a section down. This of course attracted the crowd of old men that such an event will do. After a lot of 'You oughta's' and a few 'Yeps' we got the mess cleaned up. It was starting to get close to noon and I was anxious to go on my ride before the trail got busy with walkers and other slow moving traffic.

I arrived at the parking lot, quickly got my bike out, checked the tires, and threw on my jersey, and I was off. Started getting data from the computer right away. I was able to get up to 22mph with ease and held that speed for most of the ride. There are some parts where the trail goes condition 2 and this affected the overall average speed of the ride which was in the end 15.4mph over a 24 mile ride. The trip timer read 1:23 and I have not noticed yet if it stops tracking time if I stop for an extended break, you know long traffic lights. New shoes feel great, and I hit a good rhythm pedaling. There were times that it even felt like the 'shuffle' so many pros talk about. Unfortunately I do not have cadence data as the rear sensor is still not working.

Sunday

Today was the kick off event for the MS150. I had some issues that I will post from an e-mail to a friend recalling the days events.

"Well you should have come to the ride you can have been there when I locked my keys, wallet, cell phone and most importantly my helmet! in the car. They wouldn't let me ride without it so I had to wait around for a locksmith. I started the ride almost a full hour after the main group. So it was a sprint for me just to get to the half way/turn around point 17.5 miles away. My team captain said "I was drinking last night so you should catch me" BULLSHIT! Even though I was pumping at 20mph the whole way...OK when I turned into the wind I slowed to 15-17mph but even that is moving for me...I didn't catch them until the last stretch just before the finish line. Nice catering and cold beer for the riders made up for it. "








No comments: